Wednesday, March 14, 2012

On Names

I didn't really plan on doing this until someone asked me how I picked out the names that I use in my stories. It got me thinking. I wonder how a lot of other writers pick out names for their characters. So, in response to that, I am writing this (hopefully short) response.

Most of the names I actually use come straight from my thoughts. Seriously. I just pick out what letter I want the name to start with, and then I just put different sounds together. If it sounds like something that fits, I use it. Rarely have I ever gone back and changed the name of a character (Although I did in my Airilie story ... His name was "Lee," and then I decided to change it to "Reed" for absolutely no reason whatsoever).

An aside to that is this: I once read that Stephenie Meyer changed a bulk majority of her "Twilight" characters' names, so much so that when she wrote the first few drafts, she would get calls from the people editing saying, "Who the hell is this? He just randomly appears." And then she'd explain.

(I know. A "Twilight" reference. That's two now. Hate me yet?)

The fact of the matter is this: there is actually a lot of conscious thought that goes into picking a name out. We don't just go for "the pretty sounding word." And sometimes, for purely editorial/appeal concerns, the names of certain places and characters have to change. So to the world, a character might be known as "Bob," but to the author, he will always be known as "Jim." And so we type "Bob" down when writing, but sometimes a "Jim" slips in there. We can't help it. Now, I'm not sure if this is totally true (same for the above reason), because I've never been edited, but sometimes a name just doesn't fit and that's why it has to change, but that doesn't mean the first-called name doesn't stick with the writer forever.

Sometimes I'd overhead a conversation, or watch television and they'd say a name that sounded great and had a ring to it.

However, there are also times when deliberately picking out the name to mean something must be done, aka not just putting stuff together to make it sound good. you know, actual research. I like to go to http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/ to look up the etymology of the names, meanings, and how popular the name is in the world. Also, the Social Security Administration keeps records on the most popular names of the year (like the top 100 of both boys and girls), and I believe it goes back well into the 1930's, if memory serves me correct.

Most characters I write, however, are in need of a completely made-up name; not just because I love seeing people struggle with pronunciation, but because, well, I write fantasy. It's my job to think creatively. That does not mean, though, that I don't like original, worldy names as well. In fact, I'm quite partial to old-fashioned names. Jasper, Casper, Gretchen (yes, seriously), etc. In fact, I plan on my first child's name to be something completely quote-unquote normal, if not mundane and trite.

That said, whenever I come across a name that I really like, I have a document that I have open at all times, and I place the name in there for future use. Perhaps I'll never use that name, or perhaps the next character that enters my realm calls for one of those names (or maybe even a different one altogether!). Who knows? It just has to fit the character.

And then there are names that I just can't stand. And that, my friends, is a completely different post. In fact, I'll rant about it probably sometime later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment