Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Songs of the Month - March 2012

So today I was sitting here, thinking about something I could blog about (because I just absolutely enjoy putting off my homework until the last minute), and I thought of a decent idea, something that will carry over from month to month.

Music has a huge inspiration on my writing. It's one of those things that makes me think of new ideas and characters and events. From the moment I wake up to the time I fall back asleep, there is not one moment when a song is not running through my head.

so, I have decided that I will lost about 5-ish songs once a month that either I am crazy for at the moment, or have influenced me at some point. This may be brand new songs that have just came out, or it could be a song from the 1920s. Who knows, who cares?

A lot of authors like to put in a "playlist" of things they listen to. Frankly, I'm upset that it hasn't happened sooner. Music is an inspiration to everyone, and if you say it's not, you are kidding yourself.

What I'm going to do is list the songs and then give a small explanation about them (aka why I like it, what it did for me, etc.).

Without further adieu, here are the songs:

1. "Masterpiece" - Madonna. Not really an inspirational song for me, but it's just a super pretty song that sets a great tone. It won an award (the one it won escapes me at the moment). Classic Madonna, it's sure to be a crowd-pleaser when "MDNA" comes out later this week.

2. "Birthday Cake" - Rihanna ft. Chris Brown. Yeah, I know, a lot of people really hate the fact that they collaborated, but I have to say, this is a gritty, gritty song to get down to. I could probably dance to it all night, and I can't tell you how many "cake cake cake" references I've made since this came out last month.

3. "Crystallize" - Lindsey Stirling. This is probably one of the most epic songs I have ever heard (well, not EVER, but lately). It's just a straight up violin with backdrops of wub-wub dubstep. Such beauty with such grit ... it's like a character. It just goes to show you that not everything is black and white. Would YOU have ever expected the two together? I think not, sirs and madams.

4. "Never Grow Up" - Taylor Swift. This reminds me of a few of my characters. I won't go into too much detail, but it definitely has to do with growing up (shocker). It's probably not as cute and simple as what T-Swizzle coos about, but it's definitely along the same lines.

5. "Blue Jeans" - Lana Del Rey. Pure darkness. That is all. If I focused on love and lost relationships and crazy people in my "Airilie" story more, this would be my go-to song. But as it were, I don't. Instead, this has inspired a shorter story of mine. I tend to write short stories that are character pieces, and then my novels are definitely more story-driven. Anyway, hopefully I get to that story ...

So, that's it! I hope that everyone checks out these songs and finds something that they like! Since this is my first one, everyone will probably think I'm this "pop" kind-of guy, but that's not entirely true. Give me like 3 or 4 of these things, and then you'll get a good sense of what I like (hint: it's everything that ever existed). Let me know what you think of the songs. Comment below. Promise I'll respond back. Like I said, I don't bite ... hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment